Saturday, March 27, 2010

Meditating on Bells






Bells are a big part of Buddhist culture in all countries, and in Vietnam the temples pride themselves on both the big bronze bells that call the faithful to prayer from the bell tower and the smaller but more finely tuned bowl-bells that are used during chanting in the prayer hall itself.
For the past few months I have been using bells a lot in my meditation teaching, and I am going to be really exploring this theme when I do the Cafe Church at The Chapel by the Sea in Bondi on April 11 at 7pm. Do come along and share the experience/experiment with me.
Speaking of bells, I have recently heard a really fascinating documentary on the BBC World Service on the significance of temple bells in Japan, and I can't recommend it enough - a really fascinating radio documentary.

No comments: